Board of Education
New Board Member Orientation
The introduction of prospective Board members to the School District and their familiarization with it is a crucial part of the educational process and an important Board responsibility. Orientation will include the following for all candidates for election:
- Orientation meetings with the Superintendent and the Board President.
- Availability of Board policies and administrative procedures and various Illinois Association of School Board (IASB) and National Association of School Boards (NSBA) publications such as:
- IASB - Successful School Board Meetings
- IASB - The Effective School Board Member
- NSBA - Becoming A Better Board Member
- Visits of school facilities.
Board development and training which begins with orientation may be thought of as a continuing process and a beneficial one for all Board members. Therefore, the following activities are suggested for the entire Board:
- Attendance at conferences and conventions on local, area, state and national level.
- Attendance at local workshops for continuing inservice training.
- A workshop (for new Board members) conducted by the Illinois Association of School Boards (IASB) and the New Board Member Orientation Workshop conducted at the annual state IASB meeting held in November.
Adopted: October 20, 1997